Lionel understands that pregnancy is a unique, exciting and sometimes daunting time in a woman’s life. His low-intervention and calm approach to obstetric care is intended to help expectant mothers experience pregnancy and childbirth confidently, knowing that their safety is always his highest priority.
Lionel’s patients enjoy the personal care of a professional who:
- is open-minded about conception, pregnancy and birthing preferences
- is personable and non-judgmental towards his patients, their families and support networks
- is aware of the potential impact pregnancy can have on a woman’s mental wellbeing
- is always available by phone to discuss concerns
- will meet you at hospital in the case of an emergency
Lionel’s obstetric care includes:
- pre-pregnancy counselling
- pre-pregnancy genetic screening
- antenatal consultations including blood tests and ultrasounds
- fetal monitoring
- induction of labour
- caesarean section including elective caesarean section
- collection of cord blood for stem cell storage
Lionel is specialised in vaginal birth of breech babies, twin vaginal birth and vaginal birth after a previous caesarean section.
Find out more about Your Empowered Birth antenatal classes here.
Should any complications or risks arise, we have access to the best medical equipment at St.Vincent’s Private Hospital.
The first appointment is usually at 8 weeks of pregnancy. You will then be seen monthly up to 32 weeks, fortnightly until 36 weeks and then weekly, until delivery.
Facilities and accommodation
St.Vincent’s Private Hospital has an on-site intensive care unit for mothers, on-site pathology, blood bank, radiology, ultrasound as well as interventional radiology if required. There is also a nursery facility with high flow oxygen, enabling the care of babies from 31 weeks gestation.
The hospital has private rooms and partners are welcome to stay overnight. For couples that qualify, The Park Hyatt Hotel is also available after your baby is born.
Please visit our links page for more information about a range of pregnancy related topics.